Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Sabbath

Well, my first observance of the Sabbath went better than expected. My husband, a nonbeliever, went along with it. the Television was never turned on the whole day and evening! That may not sound like a big deal to you, but in our house it is a big deal. I enjoyed spending the day in the Word; praying and studying. I have often wondered what the real meaning of the Sabbath is and have taken it upon myself to read up on it and look at the different passages where it is used in the bible. After all, how can I observe this day if I don't understand the meaning for it in the first place.

Not having the t.v. on began to get difficult towards the evening. I found myself getting anxious for something to do without wanting to do anything. I finally got out my yarn and began working on a baby gift. I learned I could follow knitting directions after all. Could it be that with the t.v. off and the house quiet I was able to concentrate more on what I was reading or doing?

It became apparent how influential the television is in my marriage relationship. During the entire day neither of us thought to ask the other what we could do together this day. We simply picked up books we were reading and read all day. Or in my case, got busy with crafts. I had mentioned that this would be a day for family and time with God. Didn't he get the hint? Apparently not. So next week I will see if I can think of something we can enjoy together.

So, my lesson for our first observance of the Sabbath is this; it is more difficult than I had anticipated it to be, and with this recognition, I am more determined than ever to stick to my plan of observing this day of rest for a full month, no excuses. that being said, is grocery shopping breaking the Sabbath? If so, I failed my first Sunday Sabbath.

No comments: